Saturday, January 12, 2013

Aunt Totsie’s Glorified Brownies


 

This is a recipe for my Aunt Totsie’s Glorified Brownies, arguably the most popular item at all of our large extended family dinners.  My mom, with a notorious sweet tooth, usually started with a pre-dinner brownie.  I always sweet-talked Aunt Totsie into letting me get into the brownies early, and hide two for myself, before the dinner began. 

Aunt Totsie always made a double batch of Glorified Brownies, so the recipe here is already doubled.  I cut the recipe in half to make a single batch, so as not to eat myself silly. 

 

Glorified Brownies Ingredients

2 cups granulated sugar

2 sticks unsalted butter softened

4 eggs

1 ½ cups plain flour

6 tablespoons Hershey’s cocoa

1 tablespoon vanilla flavoring

2 cups chopped nuts

24-30 marshmallows

 

Glorified Brownies Instructions

Using a mixer, cream together sugar and butter. 

Mix in eggs, one at a time.

Gradually mix in flour. 

Add cocoa powder and vanilla. 

Mix in chopped nuts, such as pecans or walnuts. 

Pour brownie mixture in greased 9” X 13” pan, and bake for 20 minutes at 350°. 

Cut 24 to 30 marshmallows into 4 to 6 pieces each. 

Spread marshmallows on top of brownies while brownies are hot.  If marshmallows do not melt enough, put the pan back into the oven until melted.  I used a jar of marshmallow cream. 

Prepare chocolate icing, and spread on top of marshmallows. 
 

 
 

Glorified Brownies Chocolate Icing

1 stick of butter

1 TBSP vanilla flavoring

8 TBSP milk

6 TBSP cocoa powder

1 box powdered sugar

Melt butter. 

Add cocoa powder to butter, and stir to combine. 

Gradually mix in powdered sugar, adding milk about half way. 

Add vanilla flavoring.

Mix icing until well blended. 

Spread over marshmallow topping. 

 



Who can resist brownies?  Glorified Brownies are really irresistible.  Everyone really loves my mom’s cakes, but with multiple cakes at each family dinner, you’re not likely to have a slice of each.  But you can definitely have a small brownie.  Or two! 

The original hand written recipe (see image!) did not include what temp to cook the brownies at, but specified 20 minutes or less cook time.  I baked this batch at 350° and they seemed too loose in the center at 20 minutes.  I put them back in a few minutes.  Then I put them back in for 2 minutes to melt the marshmallow cream.  My brownies came out dry, so I would definitely take them out after 20 minutes next time. 

I used marshmallow cream from a jar instead of using actual marshmallows, which are to be cut into pieces.  You could probably use the miniature marshmallows, but I’m not sure how many. 

 
Aunt Totsie

I’ve written about my Aunt Totsie before.  I lived with her for almost a year when I was preparing to go back to college.  My sister and I are both named after her.  Not Totsie of course, but her given name.  My grandmother dubbed her Totsie because she was a petite baby, just a little “tot”. 

I spent a lot of time at Aunt Totsie’s and Uncle Jack’s growing up.  Their daughter Joanne is the cousin I have been closest to from my infancy through my adult life.  Aunt Totsie lived only a mile from my mom for most of my life, so we often walked or rode bikes to see her.  I have lots of memories of being in that house, and have eaten many great meals there. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment