Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Southern Style Creamy Grits


 

Call me a grits loyalist.  I love grits.  I especially love grits with cheese.  I do not eat oatmeal, and I do not eat cream of wheat, and I most certainly do not put sugar in my grits.  And I never use instant grits!  I use Quaker Quick Grits, which say “5 minutes”, but I cook them much longer, so that they are creamy.  Jim Dandy grits are good too.  I’ve used the store brand in a pinch, but they definitely were not the same.  Whether breakfast or dinner, cook up some grits, make some eggs, maybe add some biscuits and bacon, and you’ve got a meal. 


GRITS Ingredients and Instructions

1 cup grits (for 3 or 4 servings)

3 to 4 cups of chicken broth or water

Salt to taste



1- Pour grits in saucepan, and rinse. 

2- Add 3 cups of broth or water.  If you are using plain water, add about 1 tsp of salt.  I used to cook grits with water and chicken bouillon powder or paste.  I’ve recently started cooking grits with homemade chicken stock, which makes them “slap your grandma” good.  The organic chicken broth from Costco is fantastic. 

3- Cover and start cooking on medium high.  My stove burners have a 1 to 10 dial.  I start off on a setting of 6 for 5 minutes.  I set the stove timer, and stir the grits, and reduce heat by 1 every 5 minutes, for a total of 20 minutes, ending on the setting of 3.  

4- Add additional liquid if needed, up to 1 cup. 

5- Add salt if needed. 


Tips & Alternatives

If you have used water instead of chicken stock, I suggest you add 2 Tbsp of butter or Ghee the last 5 minutes of cooking for richness. 

You could use 2 cups of water or chicken broth, and 1 cup heavy cream or evaporated milk, for creamy, rich grits. 

Try stirring in a couple ounces of cream cheese, cut into cubes. 

I always stir in some cheddar cheese.  I put the cheese in after I have plated.  When you add cheese while cooking, it seems to take more, and if you don’t eat all the grits, you’ve wasted some perfectly good cheese. 

Fresh, ripe tomatoes are great with grits. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment