Saturday, March 14, 2015

Spicy & Delicious White Chicken Chili


White Chicken Chili
Chili with chicken, half and half, chicken broth, and plenty of flavor
from chili powder, cumin, taco seasoning, poultry seasoning


I had been wanting to make a great white chili for a while. 

I had eaten white chili a couple times at my office’s annual chili cook-off.  I learned that the key is to make it with plenty of flavor.  I spent a few hours searching for a good recipe, and found this one from BigOven.com.  It called for 6 chicken breasts and 6 cans of beans, which I thought would be a huge amount, especially if I was disappointed in my result.  I revised the recipe, cutting it in half, and started my prep on Monday before my intended meal on Wednesday. 

The original recipe called for canned Great Northern beans.  I opted for dried beans, and soaked my beans Monday afternoon and cooked them in the crockpot overnight.  On Tuesday afternoon, I sautéed the onions and pepper, and cooked my chicken and chopped it.  I put the diced chicken, onion, pepper, and cooled beans in a large bowl with half of the chicken broth and half and half.  I added all the spices, and refrigerated overnight. 

On Wednesday morning, I transferred my mixture to a Dutch oven, added the remaining ingredients, and began heating my chili.  Once it was relatively warm, I tasted it.  It was crazy spicy, on the hot side for my taste.  Admittedly, I am a lightweight when it comes to heat in food.  The original recipe called for 3 jalapenos, and I used ½ a poblano, and opted to omit the Frank’s Red Hot in the original recipe.  I can’t imagine the poblano generated that much heat, nor the chili powder, which leaves the white pepper.  I used 2 teaspoons, and have revised my recipe below to show 1 teaspoon. 

Ultimately I doubled my chicken broth and half and half.  In effect my revised recipe cut the chicken and spices in half, but kept the liquid at the full level.  The result was an extremely flavorful white chili, with a mild to moderate heat level.  This was a big hit.  I will definitely make it again.  And again. 



Ingredients

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
½ package taco seasoning
1 Tbsp poultry seasoning
2-3 Tbsp coconut oil
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
½ poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp cumin
1 lb bag Great Northern beans
7 cups chicken broth, divided
6 cups half and half
1 ½ Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp white pepper
2 1/2 cups shredded Colby Jack or Pepper Jack cheese


Directions

1- Prep beans a day ahead.  Soak about 8 hours, and cook overnight in crockpot in 4 cups of chicken broth. 

2- Prep chicken a day ahead.  Dredge in taco seasoning and poultry seasoning.  Bake 45 minutes at 375°, turning once about half way through cook time. 



3- Cool chicken, then chop or shred. 



4- Prep onion and pepper a day ahead by sautéing chopped onion and poblano pepper in coconut oil.  Set aside to cool. 



5- Transfer beans and liquid, chopped chicken, onions and pepper to a large storage bowl. 

6- Pour 1 cup chicken broth and 3 cups half and half to mixture. 

7- Add chili powder, cumin, white pepper, and Worcestershire sauce to mixture. 

8- Refrigerate chili mixture overnight. 

9- About an hour before you plan to serve your chili, transfer mixture to a Dutch oven pot. 

10- Add remaining 2 cups broth and 3 cups half and half. 

11- Begin heating on medium heat.  Dissolve flour in a small amount of water, and slowly pour into chili mixture.  Stir frequently. 

12- Taste and adjust spices to taste.  Add salt if desired. 

13- Continue heating on medium for 20-30 minutes, being careful not to boil. 

14- Gradually stir in 2 cups of cheese while stirring constantly. 

15- Serve in soup bowls or mugs.  Garnish with cheese if desired. 




No comments:

Post a Comment