Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Chicken Casserole with Potatoes and Onions


 
It recently occurred to me to try a smaller version of Mom’spork chop and potato casserole, substituting chicken for the pork chops.  I had organic chicken breasts in the freezer, and I was thinking if I pounded them into cutlets, the texture might be similar to the pork, and chicken might work in the recipe.  So here’s my chicken version of the casserole: 
 

Ingredients: 

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts

3 medium potatoes, sliced

1 medium onion, sliced

Salt and pepper

Lawry’s seasoned salt

¼ cup flour

1 cup milk

  

Instructions: 

- In bottom of a 2-quart lightly greased casserole dish, arrange a layer of onions, then a layer of potatoes.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper. 

- Add milk. 

 



- Place chicken breasts between layers of plastic wrap.  Pound into flat cutlets with the flat side of a large meat mallet. 



- Place the chicken cutlets on top of the potatoes.  Sprinkle chicken lightly with Lawry’s seasoned salt.  Dust with flour.  (I decided to forgo the flour this time.  I don’t really think the flour adds much to the dish.) 



- Add another layer of potatoes.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper. 



- Cover and bake at 350° for 60 minutes.  Test doneness of potatoes and chicken with a fork.  I like my chicken to fall apart easily without having to cut with a knife. 


- Top casserole with cheddar cheese.  Return to oven, uncovered for 10 minutes. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment