Saturday, January 26, 2013

Easy Family-Style Chicken Pot Pie


 

 
I’ve always loved chicken pot pie.  A few years ago a friend made a super simple, family-style chicken pot pie with frozen pie shells.  I’ve been making my own ever since.  I’ve used frozen pie shells, frozen gluten-free pie shells, and refrigerated (rolled, in a box) pie shells.  I’ve made it with chicken, and I’ve made vegetarian pot pies many times, with a variety of different vegetables.  It’s always good. 

I like to use a large shallow baking dish.  As much as I enjoy the crust, the pot pie is too dry when placing top and bottom crusts, so I skip the bottom crust. 

 

Chicken Pot Pie Ingredients
3 cups diced cooked chicken

2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of potato soup

2 soup cans milk
1 bag frozen mixed vegetables, or vegetables of your choice

1 deep dish frozen pie shells, thawed, or one refrigerated Pillsbury Just Unroll pie crust

 

Instructions

1.  Grease the bottom of a 11” X 13” baking dish. 



2.  Add soups and milk to baking dish.  Whisk to combine. 



3.  Add vegetables and chicken.  Stir to combine. 

4.  Top with pie crust.  Don’t worry if there are gaps. 

5.  Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for about 1 hour. Turn up oven temperature if needed to lightly brown crust.

 

 

My friend used several thawed regular sized frozen pie shells.  She carefully pieced them together to cover the entire bottom of the baking dish.  As I said above, in the shallow baking dish, it made the pot pie too dry.  I just put a single crust on top.  The frozen crust, especially the gluten free crust, breaks into pieces.  I just evenly space the pieces around the main center piece.  The refrigerated crust more amply covers the pot pie. 



I typically use a traditional vegetable mix of peas, carrots, and corn.  The HEB store brand frozen mixed vegetables has peas, carrots, corn and lima beans.  I’ve used many different vegetable combinations.  Try vegetables such as broccoli, asparagus, artichokes, butternut squash, mushrooms, and leeks. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment