Saturday, January 19, 2013

Easy Classic Meatloaf





My Mom is a terrific cook, but I was never crazy about her meatloaf.  Too much sage.  As an adult, I discovered the Lipton Soup meatloaf recipe.  I’ve been using it for years now.  My only complaint about the recipe is that it is too salty for my taste, so I use 2 ½ pounds of hamburger instead of the recommended 2 pounds.  I make a shallow, thin meatloaf, more like a sheet cake instead of a traditional loaf, and I make a tomato sauce topping. 



Meatloaf Ingredients

1 envelope Lipton ® Recipe Secrets® Onion Soup Mix

2 ½ lbs. ground beef

3/4 cup plain dry bread crumbs*

2 eggs

3/4 cup water

1/3 cup ketchup


Meatloaf Sauce Ingredients

1 cup ketchup

1 small can tomato paste

1/3 cup molasses, or ½ cup brown sugar


Directions

1.  Preheat oven to 350°.  

2.  Place ground beef in bowl.  Add onion soup mix.  Other varieties of Lipton Soup work also, such as Beefy Onion, or Onion Mushroom. 

3.  Add ¾ cups dry bread crumbs.  I use Progresso plain or Italian.  I have also used quick oats.  Alternatively you can use 1 ½ cups fresh bread crumbs, or 5 slices of bread, cubed. 

4.  Add eggs, water, and ketchup.  Combine all ingredients.  I start out with a large spoon, but ultimately do the final mix with my hands. 



5.  You can shape into a traditional loaf, on a 9- X 13-inch baking pan, but I press meat mixture flat, utilizing the entire baking dish.  Then I poke a few holes in the center, so that the meatloaf will cook evenly. 


6.  Combine tomato paste, ketchup, and molasses (or brown sugar).  Spread over meat mixture. 


7.  Bake for 45-60 minutes at 350°. 



  

No comments:

Post a Comment