Welcome to my favorite family recipes, and some of my own discoveries. All of the recipes published here will be “tried and true”. I grew up with many of these recipes. My mom is a very good cook. We were a working class family, but we always had good food. Nothing fancy, but everything was good. I will also be sharing Mom’s best cake recipes.
Wednesday, January 9, 2013
Mom’s Lemon Jell-O Cake
Lemon Jell-O cake may have been the cake we had the most
often when I was growing up.It’s a
delicious lemon pound cake with a zesty glaze.As an added bonus, it’s simple to make.The cake batter is a boxed lemon cake mix, with a box of lemon
Jell-O.The glaze is made from
confectioner’s sugar with real lemon juice.
Mom has always had a sweet tooth.We had some kind of homemade cake or pie
around the kitchen at almost any given time when I was growing up.When I was in my teens, my mom started adding
cakes to my chore list.This is such a
simple cake to make, and it was a family favorite, so it was often on my
1 package yellow cake mix
1 package lemon Jell-O
2/3 c water
2/3 c Wesson oil
2 tsp lemon extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 c confectioner’s sugar
Juice of 2 lemons
Zest of 1 lemon
1. Empty yellow cake mix and lemon Jell-O into mixing
2. Add 2/3 water and 2/3 cup vegetable oil, and beat at low
speed with electric mixer.
3. Continuing on low speed, beat in 4 eggs, one at a
4. Mix in 2 teaspoons of lemon extract, and 1 teaspoon of
5. Grease and flour a tube pan.
6. Pour cake mixture into tube pan, and bake at 325 degrees
for one hour.
7. Prepare glaze while cake is baking.Combine 2 cups confectioner’s sugar, the
juice of 2 lemons, and the zest from 1 lemon.
8. When cake is done, empty onto a plate.
9. While cake is warm, spoon glaze on cake.Glaze will be runny.Keep spooning glaze onto cake and let it soak